14 April 2009

104



I’ve been seeing the ads for the “no smoking” in PG-13 movies on the sides of city buses lately. For some reason this morning seeing one really pissed me off.

I am no fan of smoking, in fact I hate it. I grew up in a household with a smoker and I know plenty of them but I’ve never quite gotten used to it. I find them disgusting and stifling. One of my biggest pet peeves in this City is walking behind someone who insists on not only smoking while walking but also in blowing the smoke behind them so not only are their lungs getting effed up but potentially so are mine. I find it vile.

That said I am really hocked off that there are demands to remove it from movies. The history of smoking in films aside, what does this say about our respect for creativity and the creative control artists’ have over their projects not to mention how much control we have relinquished (or wish to relinquish) when it comes to raising our children?

I don’t believe it is up to films or athletes or celebrities to teach children the facts of life (and death) – it is up to the parents, the grandparents, the aunts, the uncles, the partners, the neighbors – the adults in their lives should be teaching them not only with facts but also by example and experience. After that you have to trust that your child will make the right decision given these tools and examples.

To expect that a movie or tv show will make or break your child’s decision to smoke is irresponsible and very short-sighted not to mention doing a disservice to your child.

What’s next? Alcohol consumption? Candy eating? I mean how far do we go in our expectations regarding the content of entertainment and art?

I still maintain that you have a choice for yourself and your child – view it or not, listen to it or not, read it or not – why take that choice away from someone else who may not share the same views as you?

Why are we taking less and less responsibility for the lives we live and the lives we lead?

1 comment: