12 January 2009

12


"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
- Rudyard Kipling

3 comments:

Glenn said...

What a brilliant quote and amazing image!

Jeff C.-S. said...

Thanks, Glenn! I love the quote! I hope I'm not wrong attributing it to Kipling. I've seen him credited and have come across it before but I can't remember where!!

The photo is my homage to Hitchcock I guess. It's very disorienting...I did some B&W as well and it is even more unsettling...

Anonymous said...

I agree with Glenn. The stair way and its repetitive pattern, suggest to me, the repetition of the sterility of the "safe life" that one seems to endure when they become members of the tribe. Do this, and do it over and over again because that's your role. And the hollow space in the middle, framed so exquisitely and geometrically is the part that in order to break from the tribe one has to be willing to plunged through. It's scary, one might not know if they can survive the fall. But once you reach bottom you can simply head to the exit door. For me, the images help breed compassion and respect for those in the tribe, i think personal independence is over rated. there's good and bad on either side, i guess..anyway...awesome quote and post.