05 July 2009

186



who am i to play god? i'm barely a decent human being nevermind a deity.

but the quality of her life doesn't match the spirit. her tenacity, her zest, her feistiness and her passion - they are bigger than her body can handle now.

tuesday is the day she will leave us.

it racks me and it saddens me and it tears me to shreds because i will so miss this little soul. but if there was a way to ease the suffering of someone you loved and make their inevitable passing less painful shouldn't, wouldn't you do it, human or animal?

we have to...it's time and we have to.

so tonight we toast her. we drink champagne on the stoop with her and we give her a little bowl full of it and she licks it off of our fingers. the sunset is beautiful and her beloved birds flit about and sing the prelude to evening's darkness.

soon she will have peace and so will we.

[ed. on 7/6: I've just been informed we can't go in until Wednesday night - while I am grateful for another day it does prolong the inevitable...but I will choose instead to focus on being grateful]

6 comments:

Steven said...

Sad as it is. She has had a great life and will be finally relieved from the pain.

It is a wonderful thing that our human being is able to make the decision though always tough for their beloved pets.

r. said...

Yes, I would do it.

What a heartwrenching day it will be for all of you... Take care Jeff! {{{{Jeff}}}}

Glenn said...

My heart goes out to all of you during this difficult time.

Jeff C.-S. said...

Thank you all - your support is invaluable and I am lucky to have it...

MargOH! Channing said...

Oh goodness, I wasn't ready to read this but its very sweet love...XO, Me

Jeffrey Guard said...

Calling all angels. Walk me through this one. Don't leave me alone.